Would you like to help support the nation’s oldest public observatory? The Cincinnati Observatory is looking for new volunteers to lead and assist with astronomy and history programming for the public. Volunteers will be trained on how to use a variety of telescopes as well as how to give tours of the historic buildings.
We are especially looking for volunteers with an interest in learning more about astronomy and presenting astronomy topics to beginners. This is a unique opportunity to learn as you volunteer at a fully functioning 19th century observatory whose mission is to educate, engage and inspire visitors of the science of astronomy.
- Comfortable with public speaking to groups of all ages
- Interest or expertise in history, astronomy or the sciences preferred
- Experience working with telescopes preferred
- Complete an online background check
- Assist with special nighttime and weekend events at the Observatory
- Learn to give historic tours of the Observatory and its telescopes
- Learn to use a variety of telescopes
Working for the Observatory means being part of a small, dynamic team that has a big impact serving approximately 30,000 people per year, and is passionate about inspiring a love of astronomy, science and local history in the community.
We hope you’ll join us! Scheduling will be based on your availability.
If interested, or you have questions, please email:
Astronomer, Cincinnati Observatory