Job Opening - Summer Internship
The Cincinnati Observatory is hiring a Summer Intern to join the Education Team. The Summer Intern will assist with daytime and nighttime education programs given on and off site for guests of all ages. The Summer Intern will also have the opportunity to learn to use our historic telescopes and lead history tours of the Observatory. This is a unique opportunity to work at a fully functioning 19th century observatory whose mission is to inspire visitors with the wonders of the science of astronomy.
· Must be comfortable with public speaking for groups of all ages
· Flexible schedule since some duties could occur on nights or weekends
· Experience working with children preferred
· Vehicle and valid driver’s license for travel to outreach programs
· Pass an online background check
· Be able to start work no later than May 21, 2020
· Assist with weekly summer camps for students ages 5-13
· Assist with special nighttime events at the Observatory
· Assist with programs on and off site given for a variety of age groups
· Learn to give historic tours of the Observatory and its telescopes
· Assist with preparing materials for camps and other programs
Working for the Observatory means being part of a small, dynamic team that has a big impact serving approximately 35,000 people per year, and is passionate about inspiring a love of astronomy, science and local history in the community.
The position pays $10/hour without benefits and will average 20 hours per week. The period of employment would be approximately May 11-August 9, 2020.
Please send a cover letter and resume by April 10, 2020 (deadline extended) to:
Education Manager, Cincinnati Observatory