The Cincinnati Observatory celebrates the telescope with an all-day (and all night) open house called ScopeOut.
ScopeOut is an opportunity for people of all ages to look at the latest and greatest astronomical equipment offered by local and national vendors. Activities include, classes, educational materials for teachers, kid's space crafts, safe viewing of the Sun, swap table, meteorites, tours of our historic buildings and more astronomical door prizes than you can imagine.
- 12pm to 5pm - Main displays, Classes, and Tours - $7/adults, $5/kids.
- 6pm to 7pm - Dinner (reservations recommended) - $25/person includes Lecture.
- 7:30pm to 8:30pm - Keynote Lecture by the Dr. Emily Lakdawalla, the Planetary Society (reservations required)
- 9pm to 11pm - Viewing through the old telescopes (weather permitting) -$5 suggested donation.
Click here for a Mail-In Registration Form.
3489 Observatory Place
Cincinnati, OH 45208
Click here for directions.
For more information, please contact:
Cincinnati Observatory Center
Here's a sampling of some featured events:
- Children's activities.
- Kid's Astro Art Contest & Exhibit
- Safe Solar Viewing
- Telescope-making demonstrations.
- Educational materials & resources for teachers.
- Science education and career information for UC, Xavier, NKU and other Cincinnati universities.
- The Physics of Boomerangs. Day & Night flights by Greg Courtney.
- The Astronomy Channel. 21st Century Sidewalk astronomy by Lonnie Puterbaugh
- History of our Nation's First Public Observatory. The Birthplace of Astronomy in America!
- Marvel at our 168 & 109 year old Telescopes!
- Telescope Displays
- Classes for everyone from novice to expert.
- Advise on buying & using a telescope!
- Local & Regional Vendors.
- Local & Regional Exhibitors including the Cincinnati Museum Center, the Cincinnati Nature Center, the Mars Society.
- And Lots More!
Thanks to all our supporters and partners including iSpace and Agena.