Friends of the Observatory (FOTO) is the support group and amateur astronomy club affiliated with the Cincinnati Observatory Center. FOTO provides staffing for many of the observatory's programs. Membership is included when joining the Cincinnati Observatory Center.
FOTO meets monthly on the Second Monday of the month at 7:30 PM at the Observatory Center.
Map to the Cincinnati Observatory Center.
A normal meeting consists of fifteen to twenty minutes of organizational business followed an astronomical presentation. Past subjects have included: Bad Astronomy in Hollywood Films, Meteorites, The Gas Giants, How to Make a Sun Dial, Longitude, How to Read a HR Diagram, etc. The presentations are given by amateur and professional astronomers as well as experts in peripheral fields. Subjects are always announced in the monthly newsletters.
By 9:30 PM, weather permitting, members can open the O.M. Mitchel Observatory at the center for celestial viewing. Members are also free to set up any of the portable telescopes on the lawn adjacent to the Observatory buildings.
Many benefits are available to FOTO members, including:
- Free admission to the historic landmark buildings and permanent collection
- Discounted or free admission to Friends of the Observatory (FOTO) programs
- Member’s only classes and programs
- Availability of loaner telescopes and instruction
- Free admission to the year-round Astronomy Thursday/Friday programs
- Discounts in the Gift Shop
- One-year subscription to the monthly FOTO e-newsletter
- Priority special event registration
Click here to become a member.
FOTO Officers: Michele Lierl, President; Aashi Mital, Vice President; John Barnes, Secretary; JoAnne Pedersen, Treasurer; Frank Huss, COC Representative; John Blasing, Aaron Eiben, Dave McBride, Al Scheide, Trustees.
How to Read the Clocks